The Australian Open Championships for men began in 1905 and for women in 1922 and moved between the major Australian cities until the 1970’s. On two occasions it was played in New Zealand.
In 1972 the annual event found a home on the grass courts of Kooyong and remained there until 1988 when it moved to the newly built National Tennis Centre at Flinders Park.
Many of the greats of Australian and international tennis graced the courts during those later years including Margaret Court, Evonne Goolagong, Chris Evert, Chris O’Neil and Martina Navratilova in the women’s and John Newcombe, Jimmy Connors, Mark Edmondson, Guillermo Vilas, Mats Wilander and Stefan Edberg in the men’s.
Results 1972 – 1987 were: